Zeno's WolfQuest

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Zeno's WolfQuest

Post by loboLoco » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:20 pm

[youtube]9z8MkrjIeFs[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/9z8MkrjIeFs

Today’s devblog is a progress update of sorts, looking at various things that we’re wrangling with as we try to get the game ready for Early Access. This stage of game development always reminds me of the paradox postulated by the ancient greek philosopher Zeno: “Suppose Homer wishes to walk to the end of a path. Before he can get there, he must get halfway there. Before he can get halfway there, he must get a quarter of the way there. Before traveling a quarter, he must travel one-eighth; before an eighth, one-sixteenth; and so on.” (Wikipedia).  So even though we are getting closer and closer, some days it does feel like we can’t quite reach our destination! That said, we continue to make lots of progress, fine-tuning and getting all the systems to play nicely with each other.  

We continue to be grateful for our amazing team of developers and diligent beta testers. Thank you to everyone for your continued positivity and patience! Finally, a shout out to the folks who have donated to WolfQuest game development at fundly.com/wolfquest. Your extra support means a lot to us!  

As we said before, we don't have a release date yet but we are getting closer! Our plan is to release the first episode, Amethyst Mountain for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. That will be followed by Slough Creek some months later, then followed by the mobile versions. We’ll then resume development of the next episode, Tower Fall!

Remember, WolfQuest 3 will be a free update to players who own WolfQuest 2.7.  If you are buying WQ 3 for the first time, the cost will be more than the current game 2.7 (so it's cheaper to purchase it now and get WQ 3 as a free update). The Tower Fall expansion will be an in-game purchase (DLC).
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Zeno's WolfQuest

Post by LamarWolf » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:30 pm

Yeah the game looks pretty good but has a few kinks to work out. Keep up the good work.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:08 pm

Even though the game still needs some tweaking and testing, it looks very good already! The glitches with the nodding wolf and the shrinking moose were pretty funny too.

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:10 pm

Hahaha the little sneak of the cougar at the end.

I can definitely see how progress can feel like a neverending journey where even the greatest of steps just slowly becomes a smaller and smaller amount compared to previous iterations and builds and implementations, but the finish line is there somewhere.

The holes in the terrain seem frustrating to deal with since the map is so large, especially if there's no like, keystroke to record the coordinates so they can be easily located. I can only hope they're relatively easy to find and mark where they are on the map so you aren't combing the whole area like a needle in the haystack.

OOF. Size dimensions in model/animation software can be so painful. Hopefully some easy tweaks and a re-export of the animations will fix that. I used to want to pull my hair out when I used Blender and encountered a problem.

Interface for the save files is looking great, by the way! I'm really digging the kind of rough torn paper like edges of the top and bottom edges. The tutorial tips look pretty streamlined and easy to digest as well.

The contrast of the sky in the scent view here makes it much better to see the scent spores now. Having the free camera movement will make it much easier to single them out as they float around.

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:25 pm

Ah the inevitable bugs and glitches. How they make game development so slow. Oh well, the only thing we can do, devs and players alike, is be patient and wait and, in the case of the developers, fix them. Though we can all enjoy the tutorial glitch. It's how some players feel when they are playing a game and need to go through the tutorial again, just constant nodding.

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:53 pm

I never really got zenos parodoxes. I can prove them wrong by simply touching a wall!

Bushmeat
Pup
Pup

Post by Bushmeat » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:30 am

A chance meteor in the sky threatening to strike my wolf at any time? That's not a bug, that's a difficulty feature

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 pm

Wow, this is looking really good so far! I admit I have never heard of the philosophy mentioned in the video, but it sounds fascinating. Laughed when the wolf was bobbing his head, looks like he is listening to some good music! lol :lol: Thank you for all the hard work ya'll are doin! (Especially those beta tester out there)

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:19 am

Oh, no... that moose...
Well, a bunch of smart people proved that you can get through Zeno's Paradox! Just not mathematically... then it holds... :( but you're not making a game on mathematics (SORT OF), so you can get through!!
And also, keep bobbing that wolf head. It amuses me. Twist up your mate and tell it to hunt moose that are ten times smaller than they should be. Put floating space rocks all over the map! 'Cause that's how it is in Yellowstone, isn't it?
Thanks for sharing, Dave! And all those funny glitches (only fix a few, keep the funny ones! It'll save up time :O)

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:55 am

No one said the life of a creator would be easy! But hey, huge kudos to the team and the community for bearing through all the difficulties and setbacks of development. I know that this game is going to be absolutely phenomenal when it's finished. One day, that half will become a whole. I know it.

SamueWolfSword
Pup
Pup
Name: Samue

Post by SamueWolfSword » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:31 pm

Maybe the sharp dips in the terrain were caused by something that remolds terrain (like the rivers, for example).

alebrije
Yearling
Yearling

Post by alebrije » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:36 pm

All good things take time, and those of us will be here to support any decision the team makes!

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:36 pm

It's almost there! If you're getting to the small things like bugs and details rather than the huge things (like the wolf design), you've made a lot of progress. :)