Really Old Trees

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Really Old Trees

Post by loboLoco » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:49 pm

[youtube]z6BIzwVJ_sU[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/z6BIzwVJ_sU

In the sprawling wilderness of Amethyst Mountain and Specimen Ridge, there are a lot of grasslands and a lot of forestland, but with few notable landmarks — so we need to make the most of what’s there! The most distinctive is the Fossil or Petrified Forest — a collection of stone logs and stumps which is all that remains of a forest that thrived 50 million years ago. Buried in volcanic ash, then gradually turned to stone as silica-rich groundwater permeated the ash, the ghosts of these ancient trees are exposed as the dirt erodes—becoming a fascinating landmark for WolfQuest!

Today’s video looks at a new set of petrified tree models created by 3D artist Alex Yung for the game. They’re a beautiful upgrade from what’s in the game now and we imagine players will find the new fossil forest to be a great spot to hang out.

Learn more about Yellowstone’s Petrified Forests!
https://www.nps.gov/media/video/view.ht ... 2CCB613177
https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_ ... n/sec1.htm
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Really Old Trees

Post by LamarWolf » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:13 pm

Wow, the petrified forest looks great I like the ones that have the roots exposed. I also really like how the wolf blended into the environment at the end of the video. keep up the good work.

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:14 pm

The trees look really good. Looks like a good spot to rest :D
Good job!

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:20 pm

I was actually playing WolfQuest when I got the notification on my phone that WolfQuest had uploaded! The new fossilized trees look pretty good so far. The Fossil Forest is one of the most interesting locations in WolfQuest, and I'm glad to see that it, like everything else in WolfQuest, is being improved. The game seems to be coming together quite nicely so far, and I can't wait to see what these petrified trees look like in the finished version.

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:31 pm

I didn't know rocks and petrified trees could erode/look like that. It's odd and fascinating. I think we can all agree this will be a beautiful game, and I doubt it'll be very long until we get AM. I wonder what Slough Creek will look like? Beautiful, no doubt. Well, until then, keep it up, WQ Developers! We're getting closer.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:04 pm

Wow, those are beautiful leaf-tastic trees without any leaves! And if you were there 50 million years ago to see and tell us the story of the erupting volcano, you must be really old! :lol:
(I've been to the Ape Caves numerous times, so I've seen Mt. St. Helen) And those trees are so booterful oh me gursh ;-; what do I do halp I wanna go see 'em!
I really feel AM is coming, and fast!

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:22 am

The artist behind those models did an outstanding job. Can't wait to explore in-game.

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:04 am

Fossil trees, very old, very cool! :D This looks pretty nice and adds a touch more realism than the previous fossil trees.

-StarBender2000 :wolf: