Carcass Camera Trap

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Carcass Camera Trap

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:19 pm

[youtube]P8HA3RrjNSU[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/P8HA3RrjNSU

A large kill, like an elk, provides a lot of meat for a wolf pack. Living in a feast or famine world, wolves often go several days without successfully making a kill, but they can gorge themselves and can quickly consume 20 pounds each.  Wolfing down your food is a handy skill in Yellowstone since there are so many uninvited guests happy to come to your dinner party.  

In fact, Yellowstone wolves don’t usually move or cache carcasses. They concentrate on keeping control of the main buffet until their bellies are full or they are driven away by a hungry bear or stranger wolves.  If a wolf decides it is time to flee, they may grab a bite to go (and you can do this in WolfQuest 3).  

As you can see in this video, bears, cougars, coyotes, ravens, foxes, and other animals benefit from wolf kills… and they don’t take long to arrive! Ravens are even known to follow wolves on the hunt so they can be first in line once the wolves tear open the feast. Hungry grizzlies are next to impossible to drive away and they are known to camp out to keep it for themselves. Every animal is alert at carcasses, assessing the risks vs. rewards. Since it is hard to eat and fight at the same time, you will have to decide whether you should dine or dash.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Carcass Camera Trap

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:35 pm

Love the way you simulated animals at a carcass, it looks so alive. I like the glimpse of how the cougar attacks the wolf and the bear sleeping on the carcass was an detail!
Edit: was that cougar chasing an npc wolf?
Last edited by elkhunter123456 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:37 pm

Now this will be fun. Then again maybe not on the bear, cougars, coyotes etc. oof

SophieTheAiredale
Pup
Pup
Name: Sophie | She/they

Post by SophieTheAiredale » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:02 pm

Wow! This looks amazing! It's nice to see the fox in its natural environment (even though I have foxes where I live)! One question, will we be able to bite-hold things other then elk, moose, and mule deer? Sorry I'm just curious.

It's also nice to hear the original music! I thought it was not part of the WQ 3 soundtrack! Keep up the good work WQ team!
Last edited by SophieTheAiredale on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:05 pm

I’m loving the new life at the carcass!

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:57 pm

This is really a step up from the 2.7 version! Thanks to the much better AI and graphics, the animals feeding at the carcass are much more lifelike, and the way that the ravens feed is much more lively and realistic. The carcass model itself is also clearly much more detailed than the carcasses in 2.7.

MazelAngel
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Mazel

Post by MazelAngel » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:23 am

Ooh, this is so cool! I love how the bear is sleeping by the carcass. (When I went to Yellowstone, I saw a grizzly sleeping on top of a dead bison. Seems a bit excessive, but I suppose it gets the job done). In any case, all of the animals look great and I can't wait to see them in-game!

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Wow, this looks pretty great love the action around the carcass. Especially the sleepy grizzly! :D

-StarBender2000 :wolf: