New Beginnings

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

New Beginnings

Post by loboLoco » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:21 pm

[youtube]KSIrH57zb0g[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/KSIrH57zb0g

This is a special news announcement because we want to share some information about WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition before the release on Thursday. We’ve decided to scrap a particular feature that we’ve mentioned over the past few years, and we wanted to get the word out before the release. We know it’ll be disappointing to a lot of players, but we do think it’s for the best.

And that feature is: importing your wolf from the old game into the new game. It sounded good two years ago but, since then, the new game has grown substantially bigger (and better, I think) and it’s problematic, in several ways, to import old wolves into it. You can easily recreate your wolf from the old game with the customization features – and it has new options, as well – but you won't be able to import your wolf from the old game. That will be a big disappointment to a lot of people– especially those who have been working to earn more XP and climb the ranks in the old game.

But we’ve thought about it a lot and, even aside from the technical issues, we think it's just the right decision — partly because it doesn't really make sense start the game as two year old dispersal wolf with a lot of XP and a high rank. Furthermore, we are developing a totally new XP system with some very cool stuff, but it won’t be ready for awhile yet, and so carrying over XP from the old game gets messy. So we are very sorry to scrap this feature at the last minute, but we hope that everyone will take on the challenge of starting fresh in WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition to chart their course as a young wolf in the Lamar Valley.

We’ve been getting many questions about how to get WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition once it’s released. It’s pretty simple:

On Steam, if you’ve purchased the old game, the new game will simply appear in your Library, ready to download.

If you purchased the game on the WolfQuest website or itch.io, the new game will be available on your WolfQuest download page. Your email receipt from itch.io has the link for that, or you can have that email sent again. See our Knowledge Base for details: https://support.wolfquest.org/help/down ... game-again

We are releasing the first episode, Amethyst Mountain for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access on July 25. That will be followed by multiplayer, Slough Creek, and Lost River, some months later, then followed by the mobile versions. We’ll then resume development of the next episode, Tower Fall.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Call me Tsuri!

Re: New Beginnings

Post by Phasoli » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:42 pm

I’m not even upset. I was planning on starting with a clean slate anyway. Thanks for the update! Can’t wait to play the game for myself.

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:46 pm

That was rude to put a video out on Sunday. You are not allowed to do that XD. But in all seriousness, I don't see anything wrong with not being able to import wolves. I get your point with the wolves starting out as fresh dispersals rather than already at 'Pack Elder', and it's a reasonable point. I actually think it's a good idea.

Four more days my fellow WolfQuesters, time for the countdown to begin!

Starbender2000
Pup
Pup

Post by Starbender2000 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:38 pm

I actually thought this was going to happen anyway, as it seems rather op to start the game as pack elder, from what I heard previously the wolf would carry over, name and customizations, but not xp, however they said something about a surprise for the players who managed to gain enough xp. Is this surprise still there, or is that scraped too? I mean doesn't really matter, though if it was decided to scrap it, curious to know what it would have been. O.O Anyway I like the idea of a fresh start, as always one of the most enjoyed moments of a game is learning it. How to stay alive, how to thrive. Fun. Can't wait for the release of the new episode! But....I won't be able to get to it right off as I will be out celebrating my brother's wedding, the guy who first introduced me to this awesome game. :D Irony.

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

P.S. I love the new game menu it looks awesome! :D
Last edited by Starbender2000 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fifteen
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Dallon

Post by Fifteen » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:44 pm

ok First of all I genuinely believed that elk speech at the beginning and just kinda had a tired moment of "alright well I guess this is my life now that's fine"
But ANYWAY this isn't really a disappointment at all !!! Starting off brand new is just gonna add to the experience n honestly working with a lot of unfamiliar scenarios is probably gonna up the experience overall, at least for me. From what we've seen already it looks like it's gonna surpass everyone's expectations, and I'm super jealous I'm not gonna be able to play it the very day it's released since I'm so busy! >:0

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Well a blog on sunday, what a pleasant surprise. I dont really care about the fact that the my wolf wont be able to import because i earn like 20000+ XP a day! What about those toads that have not been mentioned for over a year XD Will they be scrapped? I dont think they will but will they be in early access?
Also, thanks so much for making this game WolfQuest team!
PS: Tim Buzza if your reading this your music is better than Beethoven's.

BlueBellTigger
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by BlueBellTigger » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:14 pm

How much is the game? I think 25 -30 dollars! That should cover the cost of zll the work you have done.

perenril
Name: Ril

Post by perenril » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:32 pm

As disappointing as it is to think that the experience collected over the years in 2.7 is going to be wiped going into this new game, I think it'll also be very refreshing.

Super excited to try out the early access!

Desulto
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Desulto » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:38 pm

I'm pretty excited to redesign my wolves and explore!

Sorry if I come across as a bit dumb, but out of curiosity, will the later episodes be updates to Early Access or will they be separate programs to download?

BlackMetal
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Avenger

Post by BlackMetal » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:15 am

In my opinion it is no shame at all that the wolves cannot be imported. It's all right the way it is. :D :wolf:

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:28 am

I'm fine that the wolves won't be imported. I do have one question will we need to make new in game accounts or will those transfer.

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:58 pm

I was actually considering deleting my current wolves (if they were to transfer) once I got to WolfQuest 3 so I could remake them with the brand new appearances and that kind of thing. If the transfer concept were still existent, I could have just edited them, I suppose, but that's not half as fun as just remaking them anyway. So I don't have any complaints about this! I didn't even have a Pack Elder in the first place. :lol:

I quite liked that one small detail that's being added to the wolf. It made it so much more lifelike, as did the ear twitching and the smoothness of the howl and the animations. The 2.7 wolves would always jerk when they finished howling, but I haven't seen that in any of the videos, so congratulations! :D

Thanks for notifying everyone about this. Even if I have no preference on this matter, others may, so it's very considerate to tell us. :)

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Erick, Zhenya, Wind

Post by Windstrider » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:04 pm

That looks beautiful! I love the fluff and the ear motions especially; it's the 'little' things that add up. I'm fine with starting with a clean slate too; I haven't had time to play WQ in quite a while, so I'm kind of gonna have to re-learn some if it anyway, and my wolf should be easy to remake too. Honestly, to me, character creation is one of the funnest parts of games, so it'll be fun to remake (or make new) characters and try out the new and improved customization system. The new black coat looks great! I've always loved that coat and the new version looks even better.

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:07 pm

Just a minor disappointment...I won't mind remaking at all. For me the MAJOR disappointment is that I'm off of work the day BEFORE Wolfquest comes out :(
Could have been a totally free day roaming and collecting experience on a brand new wolf....oh well. At least I will still get to play the long awaited release when I do have the time. Thanks for all the time, hard work and dedication that went into making this release possible!!

Moonstar05
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Moonstar05 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:41 pm

I was already starting a new wolf. I can barely wait for the release this coming week! :D :wolf:

Return to “WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall Developer's Blog”