WolfQuest Returns to Yellowstone: Amethyst Creek

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

WolfQuest Returns to Yellowstone: Amethyst Creek

Post by loboLoco » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:28 pm

We returned to Yellowstone National Park last month for another round of on-site exploration of the areas we depict in the game.

Today’s video follows our hike into the northern edge of the Amethyst game map, as we ford the Lamar River and follow Amethyst Creek into the highlands. Along the way, we saw a plenty of wildlife — birds, bison, pronghorn, and even a toad in the Lamar River — and plenty of discarded elk antlers. We also took note of many things to improve in the game, as we try to make the game world match the real world of Yellowstone as closely as we can. Little things like how much the grass and sage moves in the wind, and bigger things like the density of trees and grass along the creeks. Plus ground textures, rock forms and textures, and all sorts of things that we’ll try to incorporate in the coming months.

We saw no wolves on this hike, but the very next day — after a terrific meeting with one of our science advisors, YNP wolf biologist Dan Stahler, — we watched a black wolf trot a mile or two up the Lamar Valley, eventually crossing our route before turning and heading into the hills. (We got amazing views through binoculars but no photos or videos, alas.)

In the coming months, we’ll share more videos of our explorations of the Slough Creek and Tower Fall maps, so stay tuned!

We have released the first episode, Amethyst Mountain for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. While in Early Access, we will be updating the game frequently with more features, multiplayer, and ultimately the Slough Creek episode with pups. The mobile version will come after the game is completed on PC/Mac platforms. We’ll then resume development of the next episode, Tower Fall (DLC).s we can. Little things like how much the grass and sage moves in the wind, and bigger things like the density of trees and grass along the creeks. Plus ground textures, rock forms and textures, and all sorts of things that we’ll try to incorporate in the coming months. We saw no wolves on this hike, but the very next day — after a terrific meeting with one of our science advisors, YNP wolf biologist Dan Stahler, — we watched a black wolf trot a mile or two up the Lamar Valley, eventually crossing our route before turning and heading into the hills. (We got amazing views through binoculars but no photos or videos, alas.)
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: WolfQuest Returns to Yellowstone: Amethyst Creek

Post by elkhunter123456 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Wow you certainly know the best places to view wildlife! It looks beautiful there!

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:40 am

It looks amazing out there! You definitely did it justice. I will go to Yellowstone one day, it's on my bucket list haha. It's pretty cool you got to see all that stuff from the pronghorn to the bison wallow to the wolf. Even elk antlers are cool in my opinion, then again that may just be me. I hope you enjoyed your trip!

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:37 pm

I love that the team is drawing from life. Exploring Yellowstone through WolfQuest has been an amazing experience all these years. One day, I hope to see the real thing.