Name the Lost River Packs! (and updates)

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Name the Lost River Packs! (and updates)

Post by loboLoco » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:12 pm

We’re looking for your ideas! One of our longtime players (DinoDogDude209) pointed out that the dispersal wolves that you meet in Lost River come from the same packs as those you meet in Amethyst Mountain — which doesn’t really make sense, since Lost River is quite some distance (nobody knows just what distance) from Yellowstone. Changing that so Lost River can have its own set of packs for dispersals was quick and easy — but then came the hard part: What should those packs be named? We’d love to get suggestions from players for those packs. What would be suitable names for wolf packs from this area? They could be geographic (like most packs in Yellowstone), but some might have more….creative…names that fit the strange place that is Lost River. So if you have an idea, post it below!

In other news:

We’ve got a good number of new players in the past month — welcome! If you need help about gameplay, be sure to check the “Game Help” material (via the button in the Pause Menu), which you can also access on the WolfQuest website here: https://support.wolfquest.org/help/wolf ... eplay-tips. Plus lots of technical support in that knowledge base as well. And JayPlays has produced several “tips and tactics” videos which area chock-full of good suggestions to improve your game.

We’ll have the next patch coming out soon, which includes a lot of small and a few bigger bugfixes, plus a new physics and collision system — our lead developer Tommi has redesigned and rebuilt this to better handle the odd objects in Lost River, and particularly the complex rocky outcrops that’ll be in Slough Creek. Of course, some bugs are inevitable in such an underataking, and you can enjoy one captured on video by our beta tester Sass at the end of today’s devblog.

We have released the first episode of WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition (Amethyst Mountain) for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. While in Early Access, we are updating the game frequently with more features, multiplayer, and ultimately the Slough Creek episode with pups. The mobile version will come after the game is completed on PC/Mac platforms. We’ll then resume development of the next episode, Tower Fall (DLC).
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Re: Name the Lost River Packs! (and updates)

Post by Zoopal55 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:09 pm

Lol, this is a bit amusing near the end, apparently Santa is recruiting moose now. Just noticed that the houses are also super small is that supposed to be like that? As for names for Lost River packs, something like a shout-out to Chernyobl would be nice. Like the Pripyat Pack, or something like that. Pripyat is a name of of a city in the Ukraine evacuation mandatory due to Chernobyl meltdown, I may have spelled it wrong I have seen 2-3 different spellings of this name though. And to be less complicated I don't know, Soul Pack for maybe all the missing souls? I really don't have as many good suggestions as I would hope. Soul Pack, Ghost, something eerie, maybe full of mystery too would be nice. Have fun with that! Great work on the Lost River map by the way, can't wait to see the newer model as well!

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

Sidenote: I will be changing my user to match my steam account.

Lunamoon543
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Luna

Post by Lunamoon543 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:37 pm

I’m not good at coming up with names but here are some suggestions, Moonstone pack, starlit pack, and dewdrop pack. Hope you like them.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:05 pm

This was a very unexpected development blog, but I'm very glad the team decided to use my idea! When the Lost River map was first added to the Anniversary Edition, I wondered whether there would be any new dispersal wolf packs roaming around Lost River, and when I saw that they were the same ones from Amethyst, I started to think about how the team could come up with more interesting pack names. We really don't know how far Lost River is from Yellowstone. It's obviously not incredibly far away, considering that the player wolf's backstory is that they were born in Yellowstone but left the park at some point. But because it definitely isn't within Yellowstone itself, and it's a fictional location, it really doesn't make sense to include the same real wolf packs from Amethyst Mountain. I'm glad that Dave chose to let the fans come up with the names for the packs of the region though. I feel like the fictional nature of Lost River allows for some more creative names for the dispersal packs, while still remaining somewhat within the realm of realism.

Personally, I still like the wolf pack names that I came up with myself, but I've also really liked a few ideas from other players. As such, below is my new list of suggestions for dispersal wolf pack names in Lost River, including some of my own and some ideas from other players that I personally liked.
Revenant Peak Pack
Moose Ridge Pack (not my idea, but I like the idea of naming a wolf pack after an animal from the game)
Delta Pack (not my idea either, but a delta is the mouth of a river, which fits in with the name of Lost River)
Nightshade Pack (not my idea either, this one is named after a poisonous berry)
Wolfstone Pack (wolf-related name, also a cool reference to the Wolfenstein games, once again not originally my idea)
Calamity Pack
Clearwater Pack
Wartooth Pack (a personal favorite of mine)
Wormwood Pack (this was suggested by someone on the WolfQuest official discord server a while ago, this is a reference to Lost River's similarities to Chernobyl, as Chernobyl roughly translates to Wormwood).

Those are all the ideas I liked or could think of, and I hope that the team at least considers some of them. The new bug fixes and updates are good to see as well, I haven't noticed any of those bugs myself but I definitely hope they can be fixed.
That blooper at the end was funny too, I guess that moose must really want to become a bird!

SophieTheAiredale
Pup
Pup
Name: Sophie | She/they

Post by SophieTheAiredale » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:55 pm

Looking good! Here are my ideas.
The Rhinestone Pack.
The Sandstorm Pack.
Flumine Lupum Pack. (Latin for River Wolf)
Crystalline Pack.
Whitecap Pack.
The Quasar Pack.
The Skyline Pack.
Archipelago Pack.
Corkscrew Pack.
Hailstorm Pack.
Summerstone Pack.
The Lantern Pack.
The Starhowl Pack.
Altitude Pack.
Thunder River Pack.
Niagara Pack.
Appalachian Pack.
Whiterose Pack.
The Blackbrush Pack.
The Purplesage Pack.
The Beebrush Pack.
The Honeysuckle Pack.
Mors lupi Pack. (Latin for Lost Wolves)
Relicta Pack. (Latin for abandoned)
Pack of Lost Souls.
The Sequoia Pack.
Tallpine Pack.
These are all the ideas i have for now, but I'll post more when i think of them. And WQ team, feel free to take away the "The's" from the pack or "pack" from the end if it feels unnecessary to you.
Last edited by SophieTheAiredale on Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 8 times in total.

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Post by BlackMetal » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:07 am

Some creative ideas by me:
-Atlas Pack
-Utopia Pack
-Neptune Pack
-Osiris Pack
-Phoenix Pack
-Angel Pack
-Blossom Pack
-Oracle Pack
-Helix Pack
-Dragonfly Pack
-Cinnamon Pack
-Firefox Pack
-Dawn Pack
-Marshmallow Pack
-Armageddon Pack
-Andromeda Pack
-Puzzle Pack
-The Crown Pack
-The Thunder Pack
-The Underworld Pack
-The Arrow Pack
-The Ghost Pack
-The Sapphires Pack
-The Eclipse Pack
Maybe I'll think of more later, which I'll put in this post. By the way, I think the names can also be used for the packs in Slough Creek.
Last edited by BlackMetal on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:06 pm

Ooh, this is cool! Here's some pack names I've thought of:
Moosewater Pack
Cabin Pack
Eaglerock Pack
Embers Pack
Marble Pack
Grassrag Pack
The Floppy Hunters
Flowertail Pack
Redfar Pack
Dartwing Pack
Edit --
The Dustrunners
Raven Chaser Pack
Moonscraper Pack
Ravenpaw Pack
Midnight Sun Pack
Moon of Noon Pack/Noon's Moon Pack
The Torch Howlers
JJ's Pack
Hank's Pack
Last edited by xc92u3 on Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:09 pm

It would take some research/digging from the incomplete forum archives, but finding out the names of the most popular forum-based packs in Pack Central could be a fun callback for some game players.

Zawki

Post by Zawki » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:36 am

Here are the pack name ideas I could come up with.

Chaos Ridge
Disaster Valley
Misfortune Peak
Calamity Creek

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:10 am

DaniBeez wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:09 pm
It would take some research/digging from the incomplete forum archives, but finding out the names of the most popular forum-based packs in Pack Central could be a fun callback for some game players.
This is a really good idea! It fits with the theme of having team references throughout Lost River.

Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by Pepper » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:25 am

Go to WolfQuest's YouTube Community tab to up-vote/like your favorite Lost River wolf pack finalists

https://www.youtube.com/post/UgwL6AwWbx ... C0YmMUvJ6s

The finalists:

Back Forty Pack
Calamity Pack
Delta Pack
Desolation Pack
Eclipse Pack
Elements Pack
Ghost Pack
Persistence Pack
Renegade Pack
Requiem Pack
Salvage Pack
Shadow Pack
Solace Pack
Stardust Pack
Stargazer Pack
Stormcloud Pack
Tumbleweed Pack
Windstorm Pack
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:52 pm

Nor-easter Forecast wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:10 am
DaniBeez wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:09 pm
This is a really good idea! It fits with the theme of having team references throughout Lost River.
Oops! The early bird gets the worm, I guess. I should have put the effort in to get that info sooner.

either-alps-will-do
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by either-alps-will-do » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:58 pm

I agree with naming the packs after environmental tragedies and even naming them after famous environmentalists (though I feel like sometimes that can be hard as people are still suffering from the radiation from Chernobyl and other disasters), so my suggestions would be Three Mile Pack (Three Mile Island explosion in 1979), Sarcophagus Pack (related to Chernobyl as of now), and Silent Spring Pack (after one of the most influential books in the environmentalist movement).

For environmentalists:
Muir Pack (John Muir, considered a found father of the National Park Service and Sierra Club)
Hamilton Pack (Alice Hamilton, a chemist, and one of the first to condemn lead use in gasoline, due to an increase in poisonings and brain damage in children)
Carson Pack (Rachel Carson Author of the book, "Silent Spring")

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:03 pm

either-alps-will-do wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:58 pm
I agree with naming the packs after environmental tragedies and even naming them after famous environmentalists (though I feel like sometimes that can be hard as people are still suffering from the radiation from Chernobyl and other disasters), so my suggestions would be Three Mile Pack (Three Mile Island explosion in 1979), Sarcophagus Pack (related to Chernobyl as of now), and Silent Spring Pack (after one of the most influential books in the environmentalist movement).

For environmentalists:
Muir Pack (John Muir, considered a found father of the National Park Service and Sierra Club)
Hamilton Pack (Alice Hamilton, a chemist, and one of the first to condemn lead use in gasoline, due to an increase in poisonings and brain damage in children)
Carson Pack (Rachel Carson Author of the book, "Silent Spring")
I'm pretty sure that the Lost River pack names have already been chosen, but those are still good names.